Print banner
Print Normal text size Larger text size Largest text size
PrintText Size
Menu line

Complaint Process

The Police Services Act establishes a partnership between the London Police Service, the Police Services Board, members of the public and the Office of the Independent Police Review Director (OIPRD). The emphasis of the “Complaints” portion of the Act is to resolve complaints in a timely, professional, and where possible in an informal manner.

  • The London Police Service believe that all people have the right to be treated in a courteous and professional manner.
  • We are committed to conduct all investigations with fairness and impartiality.
  • Our investigations will be completed in a timely fashion with thoroughness and consistency.

The following is a citizen’s guide for filing complaints about the policies of, services provided or the conduct of a police officer employed by the London Police Service.

Defining a complaint

There are two types of complaints. They relate to:

  1. The policies of, or services provided by the London Police Service.
  2. The conduct of a police officer of the London Police Service.
How may I make a complaint?

Your complaint must be in writing on a Complaint Form, signed, and mailed, faxed, emailed, or delivered to this Service, to the attention of the Chief of Police or the Office of the Independent Police Review Director.

 PLEASE NOTE: E-mailed complaints cannot be acted upon.

You may also make a complaint using a standard Complaint Form, which is available at this Service, from the Office of the Independent Police Review Director in Toronto or via download as a (PDF) format from this site.

Your complaint must normally be made within six (6) months after the incident occurred.

How is my complaint processed?

The Chief of Police, or his designate, will forward your complaint to the Office of the Independent Police Review Director.

Informal resolution of your complaint

The Police Services Act encourages an informal resolution of conduct complaints, at any time during the process, where the Chief of Police concludes that it is of a less serious nature and both you and the police officer consent to the proposed resolution.

How may I withdraw my complaint?

You may withdraw your complaint at any time in writing. However, the Chief of Police may continue to deal with your complaint if it is felt that the circumstances warrant further action.

What happens if I have a complaint about policy or services?

All complaints, including complaints about policy or service, will be forwarded to the OIPRD.  The OIPRD will refer policy or service complaints back to the London Police Service for investigation.  If you are not satisfied with the decision of the Chief of Police, you may request that the London Police Services Board review the complaint by making a written request to the Board within thirty (30) days of having received notice of the decision.

Complaints about conduct

The Chief of Police must ensure that every conduct complaint is investigated. After the investigative report is completed, the Chief or designate may:

  • determine the complaint is unsubstantiated
  • settle the matter by way of informal resolution if the misconduct was of a less serious nature
  • find the officer guilty of misconduct and impose a penalty without a formal hearing where the misconduct is less serious
  • decide the complaint should be heard by a police disciplinary hearing
Can I file a complaint about the off-duty conduct of a police officer?

A complaint may be filed about the conduct of an off-duty officer, however, the officer shall not be found guilty of misconduct if there is no connection between the conduct and either the occupational requirements for a police officer or the reputation of the police service.

What takes place at a disciplinary hearing?

If the Chief of Police orders a disciplinary hearing, a prosecuting officer or a legal counsel or agent as designated by the Chief is responsible for presenting the evidence. You will be informed about your participation at the hearing. The hearing is presided over by a Hearing Officer who is also designated by the Chief. The Hearing Officer considers the evidence and decides the outcome.
An officer found guilty of misconduct could face a range of penalties from reprimand to dismissal and could also be directed to undergo counseling, treatment or training.

What can I do if I am not satisfied with a decision at a disciplinary hearing?

A person making a complaint (complainant) or the police officer named in a complaint may appeal to the Ontario Civilian Police Commission within thirty (30) days of the decision of a disciplinary hearing if the officer’s misconduct or unsatisfactory work performance was not established. If a complainant wishes to appeal a penalty imposed by the Hearing Officer, consent from the Ontario Civilian Police Commission is required.

Who are the police accountable to in the new complaints system?

The Chief of Police is accountable to the London Police Services Board which reviews the administration of the complaints system on a regular basis. The Chief is also accountable to the Office of the Independent Police Review Director for the Service’s handling of complaints.

Address for filing complaints

Your complaint must be in writing on the approved Complaint Form, signed and mailed, faxed, e-mailed, or delivered to:

Chief of Police
London Police Service
601 Dundas Street,
London, Ontario   N6B 1X1
Fax 519-661-0077

Your complaint could also be forwarded directly to the Office of the Independent Police Review Director through their website at or it could be made in writing on the complaint form and mailed to:

Office of the Independent Police Review Director
655 Bay Street, 10th Floor
Toronto, Ontario
M7A 2T4

To assist the OIPRD in serving you better, if you are sending mail to the OIPRD, please put attention to one of the following:

  • Complaints
  • Reviews
  • Local Resolution
  • Case Management
  • Investigations
  • Outreach and Education
  • General Inquiry
  • Freedom of Information Request
  • Media Relations
You may also contact the OIPRD using the following:

Toll-free phone 1-877-411-4773
Local phone: 416-246-7071
TTY: 1-877-414-4773
Toll-free fax: 1-877-415-4773
Local fax: 416-327-8332

Do you have questions?  Visit the OIPRD frequently asked questions page - FAQ.  You may also e-mail a question or comment at  To assist the OIPRD in serving you better, please indicate what your inquiry is about.